Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blog Post #9

a picture of a teacher teaching
"What I've Learned This Year" by Mr. McClung
The first comment that I would like to make in response to Mr. McClung's post is that I totally agree with him. During my first experience in the classroom, I can recall having those it's about me feelings that he talked about in the article. My biggest fear as a new teacher was how would my administration perceive me as an instructor, mainly whether or not I was sticking to teaching the curriculum according to the state department recommendations. I also had to learn that if I just simply asked my students questions and listen to their responses, it told me a lot on how to proceed with my lessons. I can say however, that from the first day that I set foot in the classroom, I did not get upset with the students when they did not meet my expectations of what I felt was adequate, but rather picked them up and let them know that I had faith in their abilities. Mr. McClung also talked about communication. My thought on that is that within any school communication is vital to that school's success because at the end of the day, it's about the students and not the teachers and their egos. Finally, Mr. McClung talked about always being willing to learn and continue to grow. As educators, we should never be satisfied with where we are because there is always room for improvement.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I agree. I believe that it is about the students. Some teachers forget the reasons why they first became a teacher. When begin teaching, I plan to keep the success of the students as my top priority, because if they succeed, than so will I. Mr. McClung had a lot of good things to say and I know it will be helpful to many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wade, your reflection to this post was especially significant to me because you actually have the experience that so many of us haven't gained yet. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete