Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Blog Post #2

Did You Know 3.0 by: Karl Fisch
This short movie clip was one that contained many interesting facts. I find it amazing how our world changes from day to day. My personal belief is that learning is always continuous, and the facts presented in this short movie supports what I believe. Just the mere thought that nearly all of the technology that we learn about today will be obsolete within a few years is frightening. As educators, we must meet our everchanging world without fear. In this world, things will never stay the same. Either they will get better or they will get worse. The bottom line is that change is going to happen and we must adapt to it.
Mr. Winkle Wakes by: Matthew Needleman
This particular movie clip addresses a problem that many people throughout the world have today. Mr. Winkle, who is the character depicted in the short clip awakens one day to a world that is different from the one that he is familiar with. Just like many of us today, Mr Winkle is not thrilled with change. As humans, we have a tendency to stick with things that we are familiar with. Personally, I am one who believes in upholding tradition. However, I also believe that one can stay grounded in their traditions while changing at the same time. Keeping up with changes in this world can be frightening, but also rewarding. As educators, we must be willing to step out of our comfort zone for the advancement of our students.
Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity
In this movie clip, Sir Ken Robinson gives us what I feel is a different approach to how children can reach their full potential. In most educational setting, children learn by listening to lectures from their instructors. Even though I feel that giving students lectures is a tried and true method of teaching, it is also my opinion that it can cause students to become complacent and uninterested in what is being taught. I feel that by allowing students to be creative in the educational setting, their hidden potential can be unlocked. I also believe that by allowing students to be creative, their self-confidence will increase dramatically. As educators, we need to be open-minded and not so quick to judgement just because an idea seems to be different from what we believe.
Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students Digital Smarts
This particular movie clip is one that I can relate to. Growing up in a small rural town, I understand firsthand the challenges of having access to many different kinds of technological advances. These challenges are caused more by economics than by having proper instruction. One thing that really stood out to me in this clip is the fact that the teacher is willing to instruct her students while at the same time learning from them. Often too many times, we get caught up in titles and having authority. I feel that in order to teach others, you must first be willing to learn from others.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you wrote about creativity. I liked what you said about being open-minded and not so quick to judge because some ideas may be different than ours. I also agree with what you wrote about regarding "Mr. Winkles Wakes" by Matthew Needleman. I too believe in tradition. Change is something that I am not very good at accepting, but I agree, we definitely need to step out of comfort zones if we want to be effective teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write: "The bottom line is that change is going to happen and we must adapt to it." You are absolutely correct about that! And Sydney recognizes, in her comment, that that will be difficult sometimes. But, as you point out in your comments on Mr. Winkle Wakes, we must change for the sake of our students if for nothing else. Now I will ask this question: Certainly lectures have been tried. Why are they "true"? Are circumstances now different, so different, that they should be replaced? And I think it is not just economics that holds some schools back. Teachers (and not just teachers but people in general) are very good at just continuing to do what they have always done!

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete