Sunday, September 12, 2010

Blog Post #3

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
This particular movie has a lot of information that relates to my college experience. After ten years removed from being an undergraduate student at my first university, I see that not a whole lot has changed in terms of what students views are as it relates to college. I often found myself wondering how some of the courses that I was taking was going to benefit me in the real world. As far as the point goes of leaving college in debt, I feel that the reward of getting a good job after college outweighs the risk of being in debt. In contrast to this video, my first college experience only had approximately 30 students per class instead of 115. The only addition that I would make to this video, would be to discuss why textbooks cost so much and you get so little when you resell them.
"It's Not About Technology" by Kelly Hines
In this review by Mrs. Kelly Hines, it confirms what I believe about teachers in this ever changing world. Teaching students today is much different than thirty years ago. As times change, so do the students and the things that they are exposed to. I can recall being a high school student 15-18 years ago and never having a thought in the world about owning a cell phone. Today, it is nearly a must to own one in order to communicate with students via texting. As a person who loves college football and follows recruiting, a coach who is not technologically advanced is usually behind when it comes to recruiting top athletes. As educators, we must be willing to not only learn about new technology, but also how to apply it in the classroom.
Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher
This article by Mr. Fisch is one that I think will cause a lot of conversations in the teachers' lounge. In this article, Mr Fisch pointed out one main fact that made a lot of sense to me. When he stated that we should be preparing the students who will enter the real world in the year 2020 with the year 2020 type instruction, I totally agree with him. As teachers, we must keep up with the changing times while still enforcing the basic principles of teaching. In my personal opinion, I feel like it is okay to be technologically illiterate. The problem arises when a teacher is technologically illiterate and refuses the necessary instruction that it takes to become technologically literate. If we as teachers have a willingness to continue learning new technology, then we are capable of teaching it to our students.
Gary Hayes Social Media Count
Wow! It is often said that no one has any privacy in their life anymore. With all of the various social outlets out there today, anything that you post about yourself can be seen by many in a matter of seconds. As a teacher, I would have to say that it is probably a good idea to stay educated in the technology field. In other words, don't post anything about yourself that you would be ashamed of when other people read it. Heeding to this advice will probably ensure that you have a long career in education.

2 comments:

  1. It is very interesting to read your perspective after being out of school for a number of years. And I especially appreciated your comment on technology and coaching. If the football team can make use of the best technologies, why not the other classrooms and their teachers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my post I agreed with most of the views that you expressed in your post.
    I like that you said teachers must be willing to learn and use technology. This is a point that I agree with but also believe that traditional teaching CAN stil be effective in some subject areas. I think that it would be difficult to say that every teacher will follow through with technology.

    ReplyDelete